Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Cauliflower Crust Pizza

YUP... I did it - totally turned a head of cauliflower into a pizza crust. Tricked everyone! 

About to conquer this bad boy! 
I have been wanting to try this all the rage trend for quite some time now and decided this was the week I would give it a shot. My mission was to trick my two boys (my hubby and my son) into thinking this was the real deal and that it was just a new kind of pizza. Much to my surprise it totally worked. I never would have guessed it because my husband and my son are not fans of cauliflower. I remember looking at the giant head of cauliflower thinking there is no way in hell this will taste like a pizza but I went for it anyways. Fooled me that's for sure! I will say this was way more work than using regular pizza dough. It took me about an hour from start to finish to make this meal and I totally made a mess of my kitchen! Check out the recipe and be brave and give it a try! You might just be able to trick your family too! Enjoy!

Ingredients
  • 1 head (Small Head) Cauliflower - the one I used was a little big and I did not use all of it.
  • ¼ cups Parmesan Cheese
  • ¼ cups Mozzarella Cheese
  • ¼ teaspoons Pink Salt
  • ½ teaspoons Dried Basil
  • ½ teaspoons Dried Oregano
  • ½ teaspoons Garlic Powder
  • Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1 whole Egg - I like to use brown organic eggs.
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. 
2. Wash cauliflower then trim the off the stems. I mostly just used the heads and left the stems.
3. Place into a food processor and pulse until it is fluffy like snow.
After I used the food processor this is what it looked like.
4. Place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 6 - 8 minutes depending on how hot your microwave gets.
5. Place the cauliflower into a dish towel and hold over the sink. Ring out the dish towel to remove all of the moisture from cauliflower. Be careful you need and oven mitt so you don't burn your hands. I know this step seems bizarre but I promise it works.
Removing out as much moisture as I could
6. Then place what’s left of the cauliflower into a bowl and mix with the egg, cheese, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and oregano and dried basil. Mix together with your hands.

Ingredients You Will Need
7. Roll into a firm ball and place on a greased cookie sheet or pizza dish. A baking stone would be best but I did not have one.
8. Gradually flatten out the ball into a circle that looks like a pizza. Bake for just a few minutes until it looks golden.
Ready to bake
9. Take it out and top it like a pizza. I kept it simple and did sauce and cheese. 
10. Put it back into the oven until the cheese is melted. Remove allow to cool and enjoy!
All baked and ready to eat! 
This won't be as firm as regular pizza is so you will want to plan to eat this one with a fork. Give it a few minutes to cool before cutting it. I was too excited to try it and cut it a bit too soon!
 
Even though he does not look all that amused gave it a thumb's up! 









No comments :

Post a Comment