Monday, December 28, 2015

Greek Lemon Chicken Soup

Greek Lemon Chicken Soup 

21 day fix approved dinner, healthy soup recipes, greek meal ideas, 30 minute meals, winter soup recipes,

I was skeptical about this recipe when I put this one together. I was not so sure how great lemon would taste in a chicken noodle kind of soup. I love all things greek though, so I figured I better give it a try. The results were mind blowing. I LOVED IT! The best part- so did my little man and my hubby. It was a tiny bit spicy for the little one but he didn't really complain. That's one thing about my parenting style that I am really proud of, he eats whatever we eat for dinner. He hates mac and cheese and never gets any "special kid meal" made for him. It's a great feeling watching him eat so many healthy things. His diet has lots of variety in it.

The prep for this meal was pretty simple too. I even made this one on a weeknight after a long day of work. Take a look below at the recipe and gather the ingredients. Let me know if you end up trying this one!

Ingredients 
  • 10 cups chicken broth
  • 3 tablespoon olive oil
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 sweet onion
  • 1 large lemon zested 
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup israeli (pearl) couscous
  • 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
  • 2 ounces crumbled feta
  • 1/3 cup chopped chive
  • Salt and pepper
Directions 


  1. Place the olive oil in a large 6-8 quart sauce pot over medium-low heat. Peel the onion. Then quarter it and slice into thin strips. Once the oil is hot, saute the onion and minced garlic for 3-4 minutes to soften.
  1. Add the chicken stock, chicken breasts, lemon zest, and crushed red pepper to the pot. Raise the heat to high, cover, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium, then simmer for 5 minutes.
  1. Stir in the couscous, 1 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste. Simmer another 5 minutes. Then turn the heat off.
  1. Using tongs, remove the two chicken breasts from the pot. Use a fork and the tongs to shred the chicken. Then place it back in the pot. Stir in the crumbled feta cheese and chopped chive. Taste and salt and pepper as needed. Serve warm.
It takes about 30 minutes from start to finish to make and will produce 6 - 8 one cup servings. ENJOY! 

No comments :

Post a Comment