Monday, January 4, 2016

Hearty Ham & Bean Soup

SOUPS ON 



When we first got married and I made Christmas dinner all of my older lady guests insisted I save the ham bone for making soup. Young and foolish I could have cared less about a ham bone and tossed it.
Today on this chilly day I pulled out this years ham bone that I finally decided to save this year. Now I see what all the fuss was about.
My goodness was this ever delicious and perfect on a day like today! So glad that I got a little wiser in my older age and saved the ham bone. In the event that you were wise enough to do the same give this recipe below a try. It's a wonderful treat!

Ingredients Needed 
  • 1 ham bone (I leave meat on the bone while it cooks)
  • 4-5 cups leftover ham
  • 2 cups dry navy beans
  • 2 cups celery, chopped
  • 2 cups carrots, chopped
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • ¼ cup fresh parsley or 1 tbsp. dry
  • ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 8-9 cups organic chicken stock

Directions 
  1. Prepare dried beans by soaking them in cold water for 8-10 hours, then drain and rinse (I do this the night before).
  2. In large pan heat oil and sauté celery, carrots, onions and garlic until tender.
  3. Add chicken stock, ham bone and ham. Transfer to larger pot if necessary.
  4. Add beans, parsley and pepper.
  5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 2-3 hours.
  6. Chop up large pieces of ham before serving
  7. Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment